"I know what it feels like to feel as if all hope has gone. If it were not for my wife I would not be here. My reasons to live were my family. Without those reasons to live I know I would not have made it through. I was not wrestling with mental illness. Simply my circumstances were so overwhelming that I felt my family would be better off without me. How wrong I was!
If you are a survivor of a suicide attempt then you will understand...we all have reasons to live and once we have wrapped our arms around that fact then there is no going back to the darker feelings no matter what the future holds. There is always hope. Hope never lets go of us so we must not let go of hope.
Because of our experiences as survivors of an attempt some of us can be at an increased risk of suicide just as survivors of suicide loss can also be at increased risk. It's something to be watchful for and something that is good to discuss with our loved ones so that the layers of protection and accountability around you can be all that they need to be, if need be.
You have done well to keep going and that is my encouragement to you - keep going! Don't ever give up! Your Life Counts is here for you - we're here to listen and to help support you whenever you need that extra support or boost of encouragement.
Please, reach out to YLC for help if you need it. Ok?
- Rory Butler, Founder & CEO; Your Life Counts! International Inc
If you feel you are in immediate danger of hurting yourself or anyone else please call your emergency services number and don’t delay.
Here are some of the things you can do right now:
- Read this article with helpful tips on how to cope right now if you are feeling vulnerable.
- Reach out to us via the YLC Online Lifeline
- Call a crisis line – here’s a directory
- Make a Promise To Live and ask all your family and friends to also make this promise.
- Visit our Knowledge Bank and find out more about particular problems we can all face in our day to day life.
- Read some personal stories to encourage you to keep going
- Share your story to encourage others to keep going
- Read our Newsblog for more life affirming news and views
- Consider ways of getting involved in our work to help others stay alive – many of us find that helping others, helps and encourages us as individuals
- Keep going and don't give up!